Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Driving in Taiwan

During your first 30 days in Taiwan, you may drive using a valid International Driving Permit. The IDP is available through the American Automobile Association (AAA), and application information is available on the Internet through their website. If you do not have an IDP, you may not drive in Taiwan until you have obtained a permanent Taiwan driver’s license. After your first 30 days in Taiwan, you must apply at the Motor Vehicles Office for an extension of your IDP.

How to get your International Driving Permit extended?

Depending on reciprocity with your home state (currently, every State with the exception of Florida, Oklahoma and South Carolina­), you can have your International Driving Permit extended by the Motor Vehicles Office, allowing you to continue driving in Taiwan until the end of the duration of stay on your visa OR the expiration date of your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).

You should consult with the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei for specific requirements. Our current understanding is that you will need a valid International Driving Permit, a valid US driver’s license, passport or ARC, a completed application form, and a photo.

How to apply for a Permanent Driver’s License?

If you have a Taiwan National ID Card and a valid US driver’s license OR If you have an ARC and a valid driver’s license from a selected list of U.S. States (currently Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Washington), your driver’s license can be exchanged for the same class of license without your having to take a driving test.

You should consult with the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei for specific requirements and fees. Our current understanding is that you will need an ARC (must be valid for more than one year) or Taiwan National ID Card, valid US driver’s license, valid passport, health certificate issued by a Taiwan public hospital, a completed application form, several photos and a fee.

PLEASE NOTE: The U.S. license must have been authenticated in the U.S. by the jurisdictional Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) OR you can sign a statement swearing your license is legitimate and have that statement notarized at the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT). For more information about AIT's notary appointment procedures, please visit the "Notary Services" page.  

Foreigners who hold an ARC but do not have an accepted state driver’s license or International Driving Permit must go through the testing system in Taiwan. The testing materials are available in English in the Taipei area only.

Holders of a valid ARC and a Taiwan driver’s license may apply for the International Driving Permit of Taiwan.

Application can be submitted to the Motor Vehicles Office . 

Taipei Office: 21, Section 4, Ba Per Rd. Tel: 02-27630155 ext. 201-203
OR   80, Section 5, Cheng Der Rd. Tel: 02-28314155 ext 325-327 (Shin-Lin branch)

You can also find related information on how to acquire a Driver's License in Taiwan on the National Immigration Agency website.

Driving or riding as a passenger on a scooter or motorcycle in Taiwan can be very dangerous.  Three American citizens in Taiwan have died in scooter accidents in recent years.  If you choose to ride a scooter, use extreme caution.

A license is required to ride a scooter or a motorcycle.  The requirements and procedures for applying for a driver’s license for a motorcycle (engine over 50 cc) are the same as that for a vehicle driver’s license. 

Applicants must take a written test to apply for a license to ride scooter.  The Motor Vehicle Office will not allow you to exchange or extend your international driver’s license or US driver’s license when applying for scooter license.  

AIT is unable to renew your U.S. issued driver license, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the U.S. state where your license was issued for renewal.